The Christmas party committee will meet in September. The event will be at the Grand Rapids Legion Hall on Dec. 3.
Tack Swap flyers were available.
Mounting stands at HHYEC, MSF on CR B and 64 have been cleaned up and painted. The stand at the lake needs repaired and painted. Contact Jack if interested.
The bridge on the Rails to Trails near the boy scout camp is going to be replaced. It will be 12 ft wide with a new surface and side rails.
We will do a trail cleanup out of Reed Rd on Aug. 14 at 4 p.m. The chili cookoff will be Aug. 14. There will be a prize chair for the chili winner as well as prizes for 2nd and 3rd. Olympic games are being planned by Jack.
The poker run on Oct 3 will ride to the lake and should be done by 3 pm. Prizes are needed. Volunteers are needed - 2 to check in riders, 2 to mark the trail the night before. Contact Connie.
Help is needed at HHYEC to run shows Aug 21, 22 and Sept 4. Contact Katti Leitner.
25 members and guests attended at Bunkers Bar & Grill.
FCOHC Chili Cookoff will be Aug 14 at RRR (camping Aug 13-15). Prizes will be awarded with a camp chair to first. Activities for Saturday include trail cleanup 4 pm, happy hour 5-6 pm, potluck 6 pm followed by campfire and activities (mystery game by Jack).
Oaktoberfest will have organized dinner/events on Saturday only. The HHYEC Ride A Thon is the next day (Sunday). Connie is chairing a Poker Run which will start at 10 am to be held in conjunction with the RAT as an extra, optional event. Lunch should be 1-2 pm, done by 3. The PR will be on the south loop, $10/hand, $1/extra card. Hands may be drawn before or after the ride and as many as desired. Prizes will be awarded. Volunteers are needed - contact Connie.
10 riders have reserved to go to Farmlane/Waterloo, organized by LeRoy. (This event was cancelled due to weather.)
Tammy will be hosting the Fat Saturday Ride and the New Years Day Ride this year.
23 members and guests attended at Bunkers Bar & Grill
We need to start getting the word out about the tack swap. Sandy B. will handle the raffles. Flo's 4-H group will be there and could sell raffle tickets.
If you have photos, info or 1deas for Corral reports, get them to Trina.
The Christmas party will be in Grand Rapids at old US24 and Yawberg.
A donation of $250 to SHAC was proposed. Vote will be next month.
The mounting stand in the MSF has been painted, will get a second coat. The paint was donated.
OHC event insurance costs us $75/day.
It was proposed, and approved, that we pay $75 to RRR for use of the facilities for our 3 events which are open to non-campers (who pay to camp) - the Derby party, chili cookoff and Oaktober Fest. These events are open to all members, friends and guests.
33 members and guests attended at Bunkers Bar & Grill
Website is getting ~100 visits per month.
Christmas party committee, chaired by Bonnie, reports this year will be like the party planned last year. New activity will be a cookie exchange.
We need ideas to attract shoppers to the tack swap. Ideas suggested include speakers, demos, raffle with big ticket item(s), charge admission which gets an entry in a raffle for $500.
A few members helped at the HHYEC clean-up - Tim and Lisa Line, Jack.
Flower sales forms were collected. Pickup is Thursday - Friday May 6-7 (or later).
The Kentucky Derby dinner at Reed Rd. attracted ~30 diners. Camping and riding was good.
National Trails Day is June 5. A camping weekend is planned at Reed Rd. We need pics of riders on park and state forest trails to submit to state at their request.
A camping trip to Farmlane/Waterloo is planned for July 16-18. Contact Leroy 419.346.2189 by May 8 to be included in the group reservation or make your own reservation by contacting Donnie 734.260.9009.
Volunteers are needed to paint the mounting stand in the state forest on 64. Contact Jack.
The NW Region state ride will be in Sept. and will feature a silent auction, a used stuff table where you can get rid of stuff to be bought for a donation, as well as a 50/50 raffle. Part (40%) of the money collected will be donated to HHYEC.
A suggestion was made to make a pledge to the HHYEC building fund for the replacement of the announcers stand to be paid when the project is underway (to be discussed).
Some members reported on attending the National Drive event in Indiana and said there will be a fall event in October.
22 members and guests attended at Bunkers Bar and Grill.
Jack reported that metropark personnel are supposed to trim the trees at the Rider Center. Some members, well versed in tree maintenance, replied that it is the wrong time of year to trim oak trees.
The April Corral is out; we have a report in the club section.
The Christmas party will be Friday Dec. 3.
The tack swap at WB will be Sunday Dec. 5. Sandy B. is chairing the raffle and 50/50 committee. It was suggested to have speakers to attract traffic.
Old Business - The second Winter Blues brunch was not well attended but it was the same day as the Wood Co. Horseman's Flea market. Next year, they will be in Jan. and Feb.
The Greene Co. state ride at Caesar Creek is open for reservations. Contact Reserveohio.com for reservations. Several members are going.
Jack spoke to park personnel about Rails to Trails. The metropark owns the paved part and horses are expected to ride the horse trail if there is one; otherwise, they can ride the RTT. Driven horses are not allowed on horse trails or RTT but are allowed on park roads.
New Business - National Trail Day is June 5. We will camp at Reed Rd that weekend; there will be a potluck and chapter meeting. Meeting at 6, then potluck on Saturday.
A portapot has been donated to Reed Rd. by __Stange/Gibsonburg Saddle Club.
Forms for the annual flower sale at Sadowskis were distributed and are due back by the May meeting to Connie B. A link to the form is on the event page.
Spring cleanup at HHYEC will be Sat. April 10. Brush clearing and tree trimming will be the main focus. All help is appreciated. Bring chain saws, trimmers, etc.
There are some painting projects that need attention - the mounting stand at MSF Rt 64 and restrooms at HHYEC. Jack will organize these, contact him to help.
There will be camping at RRR Apr 30-May 2. Jack will bring a tv to watch the Derby and mint juleps.
A discussion was held about getting a Cricket for the club. A motion to get one was made and tabled.
We have been promised that our chapter will have more camping room at the Mohican state ride this year.
There is an event at Pleasant Hill Lake on Father's Day weekend.
Marianne S. provided horse treats to members.
POPs (>300) from Tribute feeds collected by members were donated to HHYEC which will be our chosen recipient for this year.
The next meeting will be May 3 at Bunkers Bar and Grill.
30 members attended at Bunkers Bar and Grill
Trina needs pictures and subjects for Corral articles.
Jack is asking for volunteers to sign up for committees. Committees include Tack Swap/raffle, Christmas Party, Derby Party, Regional Ride, Oak-tober fest. See Committee page for all, contact Jack if you'd like to help.
National Trail Day is June 5th and OHC is urging everyone to ride the trails that day and record your miles.
Jack et al has put together a map of the horse trails at Oak Openings. He intends to print, laminate and distribute them at no charge to the club or to recipients. The map has only the horse trails, horse rest spots, and HHYEC.
There is a driving event at Hoosier Horse Park in Edinburgh, Indiana Apr. 29-May 2. Riders are welcome as well.
Beth and Flo are going.
Trees need to be trimmed at the Rider Center. They are scratching trailers.
A March brunch is being planned by Tammy R.
A Derby Party is being planned for the first weekend in May at Reed Rd. Tammy R. is head of that committee, contact her if you'd like to help.
Next meeting is Apr. 5 at Bunkers Bar and Grill.
30 members and 1 guest attended at Bunkers Bar and Grill.
Trina has been unable to provide monthly reports to The Corral and may benefit from some ideas/pictures/help.
It was suggested that we could have our 2021 Christmas party at the same place, same time as was supposed to be last year.
The tack swap is on for this year even tho WB is for sale.
We need committees to organize events and activities i.e. tack swap raffle and 50/50, Derby party, Chili cookoff, Oak-toberfest. Jack will be asking for volunteers.
The HHYEC Ride A Thon has been moved back 1 week. It will not coincide with the NW Regional OHC ride. It will coincide with our Oak-toberfest camping weekend.
Tammy has agreed to do the food for Oak-toberfest Friday and Saturday night.
The tack swap made ~$1000.
Our Winter Blues breakfast at Das Essenhaus had 27 attendees - good food, good price, good accommodations.
OHC reported that camping was up %400 last year.
There will be no logging in Oak Openings this year and no pine management.
Trail miles patches were discussed. They are available from state OHC. We will check into them.
Memberships need to be renewed. They are trickling in.
Jack has proposed a Trail Host program to state which they seem to be interested in. He also suggested a trade show at state meetings.
The calendar for this year has been started. There are 2 sections this time. The first section is club events, second section is other events that may be of interest to members.
High Trail Miles 2020 Saddle Hours 2020 Top Locations 2020
Robin Hawkins 944 Barb Gunning 950 Oak Openings 9039
Kenny Vaughan 834 Beth Arnold 450 Maumee State Forest 827
Pam Sinkey 710 Carolyn Korek 320 Waterloo 553
Carolyn Korek 550 Audrey Bennett 280 Elkins Creek 246
Matt Brown 535 Dalton Collins 140 At home 245
Leroy Williams 533 Katie Leitner 120
Donna Gray 501 Claire Sutton 110
Marge Jabri 500 Tammy Royer 100
Connie Bauer 440 Jack Collins 100
17 members and 4 guests (incl. 2 unrenewed members) attended at Bunker's Bar and Grill.
The January meeting was cancelled.
The December meeting was cancelled.
Defiance Co. OHC restoned the driveway (all of it) at HHYEC and did a really nice job.
The Fat Saturday ride will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/28). It was moved to the Jeffers Rd Rider Center at noon.
The New Years ride will go out from the Jeffers Rd Rider Center at noon.
Remember to save your Tribute labels.
Is anyone interested in the Winter Blues brunches?
Donations have been made to the Beverly Upell Horse Show (proceeds go to St. Judes), Lucas Co. SHAC and HHYEC.
Trail miles need to be turned in to Jo.
State OHC meetings have been cancelled.
There is some painting that needs to be done at Reed Rd. which we can do in return for having warm weather meetings there.
Donations are needed for the Christmas baskets. Bring them to the tack swap and give to Jo, or deliver to Jo or Connie.
Plaques were procured and installed on the mounting stand for Lloyd Bowser and John Knepper.
___ members and 1 guest attended at Loma Linda's (venue did not work well for our group)
Christmas party - it will be alittle different, bingo, dollar bags, a game by Flo, potluck with meats provided (ham, turkey), optional cookie exchange (ex: bring 2 dozen, take home 2 dozen), members and guests welcome, BYOB,
Grand Rapids Legion Yawberg at 24, social hr 5 pm, dinner 6:30 pm.
Bring stuff for gift baskets to the Christmas party.
RSVPs for Christmas party to Jo.
Van Buren ride report- there have been alotta trail improvements, take water if you go there.
Trail clean-up efforts have been made by Roy and Polly, Cheryl and Michelle, Jack and Emily - THANK YOU!
Meeting locations discussions continue - Eagles in Maumee?
November meeting will be at Loma Lindas, Airport Hwy, Swanton, 7 pm
Do we want to do club rides next year?
Officers for 2021 - no additional nominations offered, current council reappointed:
President Jack Collins
VP Kathy Brown
Secretary Tammy Royer
Treasurer Jo Neeley
39 members and 11 guests attended at Reed Rd
Christmas party - at the Grand Rapids Legion, 5-6 pm cocktails, 6 pm dinner, BYO beverages
State Regional ride at Van Buren will not be sanctioned by OHC but an event is planned with camping and riding, no organized meals.
Tack swap at WB is still on, $25 for 12x12, live auction at 2 pm.
State Membership meeting is cancelled.
State amendments and membership increase $5 were discussed.
Our October meeting will be at our Oak-tober Fest event at Reed Rd.
Venues for meetings:
Pub n Grub can accommodate 20-24 people, closes at 8, may not be open on Mondays
Charlies - separate room, can accommodate 32 people
Valleywood - buffet/order food, can accommodate 35+ people
Zoom - under 1 hr, under 100 people
Kim and Dick Bowser worked at the Maumee State Forest horse trails Co. Rd V, mowed 8 miles, worked on sign posts and markers, say the trails are dry. THANK YOU!
Development of property (Henry-Wood) 100 acres for hunting, camping, trails; old 24/Co. Rd 2B in Henry Co., looking for volunteers to advise.
We need to get the trail from the Rider Center to 64 open before Oak-tober Fest.
Oak-tober Fest - Tammy will do the food
dinner Fri. 6:30
moonlight ride Fri night, full moon
Sat am Yoga ~9 am
meeting 6 pm
Nominations for officers: current council was nominated
President Jack Collins, VP Kathy Brown, Secretary Tammy Royer, Treasurer Jo Neeley
26 members and 2 guests attended at Reed Rd.